Hello iKOU Tribe,
Well 2020, has really thrown us some challenges, hasn’t it?! Because of what we are going through worldwide, I’ve decided to put our 12-week blog on hold and support you by writing specifically about what is relevant to us right now.
We are all in this together!
Today I’ll be sharing some inspiration for ways you can boost your physical and emotional wellbeing AND make the most of the extra time many of us have at home right now.
At times like this it’s so important to care for yourself more than ever, and I hope these ideas give you some practical actions you can do to support you through this.
These are the things Paul and I have been implementing for us at home right now.
I hope they help give you some ideas too.
Stay safe and sending you love,
PS Follow us on Instagram for daily positivity and inspiration.
HERE’S 10 THINGS YOU CAN DO RIGHT NOW:
1. GET YOURSELF WELL SET UP IN CASE YOU NEED TO STAY HOME:
Get yourself setup to enjoy the extra time you are having at home.
Make sure you have healthy food supplies on hand and also some home spa wellness rituals to create a beautiful sanctuary of calm for yourself.
And remember, you can order via our website! Our online service is super-fast so you can order via www.iKOU.com.au and have your needs delivered.
Regarding supplies, while the supermarket shelves are emptying with things like pasta (and toilet paper!) try and think about what things will also support your health, not just feed you.
Here’s some ideas for foods to stock up on to have on hand ready (you’ll find this list on page 269-275 of my book “iKOU - Energise your Life”)
- Quinoa, dried red lentils and tinned chickpeas are great sources of protein and pre-biotics for gut health which supports immunity. They also give you B Vitamins which are important in times of stress, iron and zinc.
- Vitamin C rich foods: Oranges and lemons store well, and berries can be frozen. Red and yellow vegetables like uncut pumpkin and sweet potato also store for a long time, and tomatoes can be tinned. Broccoli (yes, it is a great source of Vit C!) can be chopped into florets and stored raw in a ziplock bag in the freezer.
- Zinc rich foods: Cashews, legumes and seeds.
- Onions, leeks and garlic help your body fight infection and boost immunity.
- Oats store well and can be enjoyed in a multitude of ways, including porridge and muesli. They are rich in Vitamin B1 which helps manage the effects of stress by boosting the immune and nervous system.
- Tempeh and tofu also store well (tempeh in addition to being a great protein source has probiotic gut health benefits)
- Green vegetables are so important to our wellbeing, and even if you can’t go out to buy them fresh you can freeze them in different ways. Make a big batch of pesto with loads of basil and parsley and freeze it in portions to thaw as you need. Chop the tops of green beans and freeze ready, freeze handfuls of baby spinach to throw into soups or dhal. And of course, as per my book, have Green Smoothie bags ready to go in the freezer, a great way to get your greens each day!
Stock up on real foods that will support your health. Food is medicine for our body to boost immunity and keep our system strong.
Refer to pages 269-275 in my book "Energise your Life" for a list of "Food heroes" and their benefits.
Improvise! Recipes like "Greek inspired lentils with leeks and slow-roasted tomatoes" can be made using tinned tomatoes and keeping raw beans in your your freezer ready to use.
This dish is not only delicious and nutritious but completely possible using stores of food you can keep on hand without having to leave the house.
Follow us on Instagram @ikouinspire for regular food ideas to support wellbeing and immunity.
2. USE THE EXTRA TIME AT HOME TO GET ORGANISED:
In times like this the uncertainty can cause a lot of anxiety and racing thoughts. Channel that energy by immersing yourself in projects that consume your focus in an inspirational way.
Use the extra time to get organised at home!
Have a copy of “The life changing magic of tidying up”? (Don't we all?!) Never started the project? Do it now!
Create a sense of order at home, use the time to sort out your wardrobe, clean out your pantry and do a spring clean. And remember to get the music cranking and have a little singalong and dance as you work!
The energy and positive atmosphere a freshly organised room brings is so good to lift your soul!
3. DAILY AROMATHERAPY
Benefit from the healthy negative ion benefits of essential oils in a diffuser.
Create your mood- Remember, if you don’t like the way you are feeling you have the power to change the way you feel!
Here’s a few of my favourites right now that are helping me feel balanced:
OUR iKOU MINDFUL WELLNESS TRIO.
Lemon Myrtle is a natural antibacterial oil. Use it diluted to clean surfaces. You can even mop your floors with a generous splash of Lemon Myrtle Oil in a bucket of hot water which leaves the whole house smelling amazing!
4. WASH HANDS & 5. GET SUNLIGHT:
Protect yourself by washing your hands frequently.
Our iKOU Hand Wash not only effectively cleans your hands but also gives an added aromatherapy benefit to your mind. Choose from “De-Stress” or “Lemon Myrtle”.
Get some sunlight each day: It’s great for your health and your mood.
6. KEEP YOUR FITNESS GOING AT HOME:
There are so many ways to stay fit and strong at home. The internet and social media are wonderful resources for endless inspiration and ideas for home workouts, even without equipment.
The key is consistency, so make an appointment with yourself each day knowing you’ll feel great afterwards from the good endorphins!
7. REPLENISH ENERGY:
The collective anxiety the world is feeling right now has drained so much energy for many of us and we are feeling tired and flat as a result.
Our iKOU “Energise your Life” Ritual Pack is a great addition to your self-care rituals, with a list of many things you can dip into daily to boost your positivity and feelings of inspiration. It contains a ritual instruction sheet with ideas for how to use things and includes:
- Daily dry body brushing
- Refreshing herbal tea
- A deep conditioning calming scalp massage to let go of pent-up tension.
- A Lemon Myrtle body scrub that doubles as a bath soak.
- An Inspire aromatherapy rollette to release tension from your neck and reset the nervous system with deep belly breathing of 10 deep breaths.
8. START AND END THE DAY WITH A CALMING RITUAL:
The way our day starts sets the tone for the rest of the day.
I always find for me the routine of exercise makes me feel positive, grounded and calm, and lately I have been finding I am enjoying yoga more than ever to really settle my nervous system.
The Yoga App I use called "Glo" has hundreds of different yoga and meditation classes for all levels of ability and duration of time.
You can do a free trial and access all the classes, or they have also just created a beautiful offering of 9 free classes to support everyone to have access to yoga/meditation during these challenging times.
Go to: www.glo.com/fromourhearts to access.
I did the class "Let the Good Feelings Flow" this morning as the sun came up, and it really brought me a lot of great energy.
Before you sleep have a hot bath, or doing an evening facial ritual will help you feel nurtured and calm to sleep more soundly.
Pop some relaxing oils in the diffuser by your bed and sip a Rest & Relax tea to soothe you into a deep and healing sleep.
End the day by reflecting on three things you are grateful for (including one about yourself).
9. SUPPORT OTHERS:
Turn anxiety and feelings of helplessness into action!
Channeling your energy to supporting others is good for the soul and has a rippling effect throughout the community.
Check on elderly neighbours and make sure they have what they need so they don't have to go out.
Check in on the phone to colleagues if you are working remotely, or send them a positive quote or happy picture to make them smile each day. (Pictures of cute puppy dogs or rabbits always make you feel good!)
Think of ways you can continue to support your local Aussie businesses to help them survive through the tough times.
10. CALL A FRIEND:
In this world where conversations are often by message, a personal phone call is a memorable experience.
When was the last time you had time to chat on the phone with a friend?
The comfort of hearing a friends voice reduces anxiety and helps focus on what you are grateful for.
And it will also brighten your friends day too!
Remember you are not alone in what you are going through right now, let's pull together as a tribe. I hope some of these tips help lift any feelings of anxiety you have to turn them into positive actions you can implement starting today.
People have started posting their iKOU rituals on Instagram Stories using the hashtag #ikouinspire. There's been lots of people working from home posting their diffusers and oil choice of the day especially.
Share yours too so we all get inspired by each other!
Stay safe, and sending you love.
Naomi Whitfeld is the Founder of iKOU and author of the book "Energise your life".
Her passion for inspiring others to live a life of wellness & joy shines through in everything she does.
As an intuitive Aromatherapist, Naomi incorporates mind & body benefits into all she creates, believing we respond best when we treat as a 'whole".
Winner of the Telstra Business Women's Award for "Entrepreneur of the Year", Naomi has a particular interest in supporting busy women to enjoy rituals of self-care on a daily basis.